Artistic / Executive Director Position
Cape Cod Theatre Company/Harwich Junior Theatre (CCTC/HJT)
capecodtheatrecompany.org 105 Division Street, West Harwich, MA 02671
Artistic / Executive Director
This is a unique opportunity to lead Cape Cod’s most important theatre in captivating multi-generational audiences, educating youth, fostering talent, and making the performing arts accessible to all.
The CCTC/HJT Board of Directors seeks an Artistic / Executive Director to lead and serve as a member of a team of three full-time employees who together are responsible for fulfilling our educational mission by implementing programs, managing productions and year-round operations, and supporting growth. Founded in 1951, CCTC/HJT is Cape Cod’s premier multi-generational theatre, theatre education provider, and talent incubator. Our mission is to educate, empower, and inspire students of all ages and from all backgrounds to explore and expand their creative talents and aspirations, to experience and appreciate live theatre, and to develop and nurture a lifelong love of the performing arts.
Our new Director will lead this nonprofit cultural institution into its 8th decade, reporting to the Board and articulating a vision that allows the theatre to realize its artistic, educational, and social purposes while building a strong financial foundation. They will ensure artistic excellence and select the production season and special programming consistent with our mission; manage staff, marketing, and finances; direct a minimum of one show annually; mentor students and artists; cultivate relationships with Board members, families, donors, sponsors, and foundations; engage with communities on Cape Cod; and represent CCTC/HJT locally and nationally.
● Leadership: Drives the artistic/production portions of the mission/vision and leads staff in daily operations. Collaborates with staff and the Board on strategic planning to build on CCTC/HJT’s position as Cape Cod’s premier family theatre and talent incubator and to innovate on our commitments to diversity, affordability, access, and inclusion.
● Staff Management & Marketing: Supervises and manages staff and the development of implementation of marketing campaigns, programs, and social media.
● Financial Planning: Works with staff and the Board to prepare an annual budget; approves expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board; ensures sound business, bookkeeping, and accounting procedures; and provides the Board with comprehensive and regular reports.
● Season Planning: Researches possibilities for productions, discusses ideas with the Board and staff, and then selects plays, musicals, and special events and performances on the main stage and outdoor stage at our West Harwich campus, as well as at the CCTC/HJT Arts Center.
● Artistic Excellence: Oversees selection of all artistic personnel and provides mentoring to ensure excellence and growth. Identifies and recruits directors, musical directors, choreographers, and designers. Supervises casting and liaises with Actors Equity Association as needed.
● Directing and Teaching: Directs at least one production and teaches at least one class per year.
● Development: Fosters relationships with students and families, Board members, major donors, sponsors, and foundations. Prepares artistic/production grant applications and reports.
● Community Engagement: Represents CCTC/HJT across Cape Cod and nationally to enhance the theatre’s profile. Reaches out to local communities and cultivates strategic partnerships.
This description indicates the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not a comprehensive inventory of duties and responsibilities required for the specific position or as a CCTC/HJT team member.
Applications will be accepted no later than October 20, 2021. A Cover Letter and Resume should be submitted to [email protected].